Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tsk...Tsk...Tsk

Avery, Drew & Aunt Kathie playing with the camera on my computer...too much fun!


I know, I know...
Where have I been? Not blogging, that's for sure..

Ok, so here are 10 things I'll bet you didn't know happened since the last time I posted...
#1. Shame on me for taking so long to let you know, but we found out a long time ago that my dad's biopsy came back clean. Apparently his doc didn't believe the test, so he had it sent to Johns Hopkins for a second opinion... same response. No cancer. And for this, we praise the Lord.

#2. Halloween happened. An old friend from high school in PA (Dan Dries for anyone who knows him) lives in Dallas now, too. We recently found out the connection, then he got married the beginning of October... They invited me to their Halloween party. I went for a little while. He lives literally 10 minutes away. 1,500 miles, 10 years... and they live 10 minutes away. How weird is that? Had a fun time. You're dying to know... Martha Stewart. It was cheap, easy to throw together and non-offensive and not in the spirit of my least favorite holiday ever.

#3. (These may start to happen out of order) I just got back from 5 glorious days in Albany, NY visiting Matt, Amanda and my sweet Avery & Drew. It was so much fun! One night, me & the kids ("Me-and, who's Me-and?") made a blanket tent using Avery's Rose Petal Cottage. We all climbed inside and read lots and lots of books with just a flashlight. Drew kept insisting we were hiding from monsters, I insisted we were camping. The whole trip was amazing. Completely in perfect timing (which I'll mention in a minute) and the only draw back was the freezing cold temperatures this newly-converted Texan could hardly handle. We went to see Madagascar 2 together and that was fun. When we drove around, the kids pointed out every yellow car or school bus they saw. "Yellow car, mom" Drew (2) is talking and can have a little conversation with you. He loves his cars and trucks and trains...but he still loves to snuggle and cuddle. I don't care if he never outgrows that! It was great. Made me never want to leave. I lost it at the airport. So much so that the security guard at the metal detector got teary eyed at me. Mercy.

#4. The reason the trip was so timely was because even though it was planned 6 weeks ago, it was timed to perfection. I lost my job on Wednesday last week. Not for being an idiot or a slacker, but a long story that can be considered down-sizing, or my boss finding a different business model or whatever. Bottom line: it totally stinks. So I'm looking, and with the search for a new job comes a thousand decisions... how many classes to take next semester? Work part time or full time? Do I really want this 4 year intense degree that might take me much longer than 4 years to complete? I just don't know... I've sent my resume to several places, applied at a few online things, but in my heart, I want back in ministry. I miss it. So, join me in prayer for just the right job at just the right time and that God would make it clear about my decisions.

#5. I'm in the middle of 2 weeks break. First week is Reading Week. A week set aside for us crazy grad students to catch up on papers, projects, reading and for this girl, Greek... but particularly for this girl.. VISITS! Some amazing, precious friends got me a plane ticket to Manassas for next week. It will be so good to just hang out there for a while. See my friends, pastors, church family (though I won't be there for a service)... I really can't wait. hhhmmm, I wonder how cold it will be in VA?

#6. Some great friends from college recently told me they are in the interview process for a job in Dallas! I don't think I can say who it is, but OH MY WORD, if this happens, I will be in awe. The most difficult part about being here is being so far from home, establishing all new relationships and not having someone who has known you longer than 4 months and just KNOWS you and GETS you. But college girlfriends were with you then and through the journey of becoming who you are... a little taste of heaven, that's all I'm saying. Hope it works out!

#7. Hhmm... running out of ideas. OH... just last night we found a GIGANTIC dead roach in our kitchen. Now, we're not dirty people. This thing apparentl got drunk on the pest control juice, walked into the middle of the floor and died. But when we saw it, we didn't know it was dead. Nearly had a heart attack. Called a boy to help. Errr... small mistake. Apparently, jumbo roaches weaken even the strongest of men. So, after we realized it was dead, and after I psyched myself up for it, I scooped it up using a dustpan and brush. Y'all. It was huge. Like those nasty fake bugs you can buy in stores. Or like bigger than a nasty black cricket. I don't know where it came from, but I sure home it doesn't have any buddies.

#8. A couple weekends ago we had an open house in our apartment. Just our floor, and only 4 apartments chose to participate. Jennifer & I share a love for the TV show "The Office" and we didn't want to be too girly. So, we had like an Office party. We had dvds of the series playing and we made a jell-o mold with yellow jell-o and a stapler (something they occasionally have done on the show). Our theme was Pretzel Day after an episode in season 3... It was so much fun! Lots of people stopped by, got to meet a bunch of new faces. And it was one of these meetings that led to one of the most embarassing moments of my life. Sit back and enjoy a good laugh.
So, these 2 guys walk in. One was a-hem, handsome. That's all. But he also looked familiar. So, in the midst of trying to place him, mixed with Lord only knows what and my roommate Jennifer introducing herself to the other guy, I find myself introducing myself to this guy and I said (no lie): "Hi, I'm Jennifer... wait, no... she's Jennifer!" Y'all. Oh My Word. Gets worse. I then realize that the handsome fella SITS in front of me in Theology class. He just usually wears glasses and is dressed up, he came here looking entirely different. Have you EVER heard of such a thing?! Kill me now.

#9. I didn't vote. There, I said it. Aaahh. Public confession is good for the soul. Don't hate me. I just didn't and I have no excuse.

#10. Well, I just don't know another thing to tell ya... God is good. He is faithful. He has called me and HE WILL DO IT. He has set the divine stage for the God-show. There is no other option than to trust that He will continue to be more than enough.

2 comments:

Kate's Mommy said...

ok, you tell me who is coming to TX from LU??? :) purty please! :)

Love you!
EC

adamandjeremy said...

I was reading your post at the office and busted out laughing about the "open house" story...conviently a co-worker was walking by and aksed what i was laughing about, and im not really supposed to be reading blogs while im at work, so your story got me busted.