Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

Ok...did you hear? It SNOWED in Dallas tonight!
Sleet & snow... big puffy cotton ball snowflakes. Not for long, maybe 30 minutes or so. And winter has arrived. A little weird, because the leaves on the trees were red and gold like fall finally just this weekend and then whoosh, in comes the snow!

The front moved through during the day today. As I was on my way to my 1 o'clock class I distinctly remember thinking, wow, it looks like snow. And then I thought how silly that was... I'm in Dallas and at that point in the day, the cold front hadn't made it all the way in, so it wasn't cool enough, but still... East Coasters... we just know when the sky looks like it's gonna snow.

This could turn into one of those mega posts about all I've done since November 20th... which, frankly was a lot!
I got to go to Virginia for Thanksgiving week. Spent some great time with the pastors, staff and friends from church one day. Got some clarity from my "God-squad" about some decisions I was trying to make... and was finally able to decide... No more Greek for me! I'm changing my degree program to a 2 year program (that will probably take me 2.5 years) rather than 5+ years. FABULOUS! Not because of Greek. It's kicking my butt, but the overall time commitment to learn the languages, other classes needed and the length of the program. I really don't need everything in that degree plan. So, now I'm probably going to fall into the Master of Arts in Christian Education, concentration in Women's Ministry and pick up some creative writing, dramatizing Scripture and other classes that interest me.

I have 4 more class periods to attend this week and 3 finals to take next week and then I get to go to PA and enjoy a chilly Christmas they way it should be.

This 50 degree weather but seeing Christmas lights and decorations everywhere is the weirdest thing. Cold tonight, but it will warm up again tomorrow. Does a Texas Santa wear a Hawaiian Shirt to deliver gifts? Surely he doesn't need his warm red suit...

Still no job... applied to several places... keep praying. I'm managing financially for about another month or so, but after that... well, the stage is set for a Divine Intervention. Looking forward to how He'll supply and am totally enjoying the rest while I'm waiting!

I made a DELICIOUS recipe from a friend tonight. My roommate & I loved it and so did the guys who live in the apartment below us. It's called Taco Soup but it's more like Chili. So I'm going to call it Taco Chili. And it's super easy!
1 lb. ground beef, browned
1 can CRUSHED tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 can whole kernel sweet corn
1 can navy beans
1 can Bush's seasoned black beans
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dressing dry mix
1 can mild Ro-tel (tomatoes with green chilies)

Dump everything into a big pot. Drain only the fat off the meat. Pour the entire contents of all the cans, juices and all, into the pot. Add the seasoning mixes along with everything else...don't add either to the meat while it' browning.
Heat until it's hot and serve it up! Mmmmmm, delicious! Quick! Cheap! Great for a cold winter's night! The girl who gave me the recipe said it's great for a crock pot meal because the flavor gets better the longer it simmers. Either way, it's great.
We had it with Frito's Scoops, shredded cheese and sour cream... like the Virginians taught me to eat chili. So good...

Official countdown to PA: 14 days!

2 comments:

Jennifer Renee said...

i saw that it snowed in Dallas on the news actually!

so I hear ya on the hawaiian shirt thing...it was almost 80 today! :)

love you and I'm praying for you as you take finals and search for a job...

luv you!

adamandjeremy said...

oh where, oh where has eckus gone?
if i didnt have facebook, i would think you are still playing in the snow at Dealey Plaza