Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October...already?

Can you believe it's OCTOBER today? What in the world? I wonder when fall will arrive in Texas. It's supposed to be a little cooler today. Maybe we're on the the way. I realize I probably won't see much snow down here... or temps in the teens... and I've never been anywhere but PA and VA in the winter months. So, gearing up for the holidays in 60-70 degree weather might be odd... like you know, Santa in shorts and a Hawaiian t-shirt...but I was wondering today about fall...

Fall is like my most favorite season. I love the crisp weather and though some people deny they experience the phenomenon, I like when it smells like fall outside. Not people burning pumpkin spice candles, but when you're outside and it's like 55 degrees and the sky is clear the wind is blowing and you can just smell that it's fall.

Aaww... reminds me of a poem I had to memorize in 4th grade. Let me see if I can find it online:

OCTOBER'S PARTY

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came -
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.

The Chestnuts came in yellow,
The Oaks in crimson dressed;
The lovely Misses Maple
In scarlet looked their best;
All balanced to their partners,
And gaily fluttered by;
The sight was like a rainbow
New fallen from the sky.

Then, in the rustic hollow,
At hide-and-seek they played,
The party closed at sundown,
And everybody stayed.
Professor Wind played louder;
They flew along the ground;
And then the party ended
In jolly "hands around."

George Cooper [1840-1927]



P.S. Never blog that you think it will be an easier homework week. Ever. Lesson learned. I'll be living in the library tonight.

1 comment:

adamandjeremy said...

did you seriously remember memorizing a poem about fall in 4th grade? i dont have the faintest clue what i learned in fourth grade except maybe long division or something.
thats funny.
you know that i've heard the mountains of Western NC are a great place to vacation during the fall...all the leaves chaning color...the crip cool mountain air...ahhhh......