Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Quick update...

Whew!  It's already been a busy week...

Wanted to share with you how marvelous and intimately concerned about His children our amazing God is...

I'm in seminary.  
I now work only a part-time job.
I make just about enough each month to cover bills.  
That's about it.  Me and my penchant for Friday afternoon movies in a theater of 15 people:  no more, haven't been to a Chili's in several months... and shopping? well... not so much.
But that's ok.
I'm not complaining.  
This season in learning is a gift... I am reminded of it almost every single day.  
I am privileged to learn in such an incredible place. 

So, there was this women's student retreat deal this weekend...  Howard Hendricks (he's apparently a legend, but he's my Bible Study Methods prof... he's contagiously in love with God through His word)... 
Howard Hendrick's wife is scheduled to be the main speaker at this retreat.  Basically, it's an overnight at a campground like 45 minutes away, in Waxahachie, TX... how fun is that word?!  
It wasn't that expensive to go... but, expensive enough that I didn't think it was the wisest use of my budget, and didn't know how busy I'd be, so I didn't sign up for it.  I wasn't overly disappointed, just thought...oh, maybe next time.  

Yesterday, God decided I needed to go. 

I had an afternoon meeting with the Adviser to Women Students.  Everyone has an entrance interview, we get to know her, she gets to know us... since there are so few of us (again, NOT complaining of any ratios at all!), it's like a point of contact for where to go when your world caves in :o) Or whatever... 

Had a great little meeting with her and before I left, she asked if I was planning to go to the retreat.  Told her no and why and she said she would make sure I got in if I changed my mind.  
Well, I don't know anyone going, so I thought probably not... 

But God... (one of the greatest phrases all over Scripture)

I went to my mailbox and saw a check in there.  Someone from my church in VA had contributed to my July fund...in September... and the church sent the contribution to me.  
I don't know who it was from, they probably do, but I don't need to know... it was for just about the amount of the retreat.  I can swing the remaining $15... if I decided to go...

Then, last night at my Spiritual Formation group (a small group everyone in my program participates in for 4 semesters, all girls/all guys) our discussion was really good all around, but we ended up talking about stuff that finally helped me figure out this very weird spiritual place I've been (which for those of you who aren't familiar with all this Jesus talk basically just means that the Lord I have for so long connected with, spoken to in prayer and heard from in Spirit hasn't felt so close--no twilight zone stuff, just what having a relationship with Jesus is)...  so, been in this weird place, feeling like I got to seminary and everything I ever learned or knew about God fell out of my head and I couldn't know anything until I learned it here.  Can hardly put it into sensible words, but, the point is...
The thought is stupid.  
Stupid, but true and I thought I was the only one... until someone else confessed her frustration before I did, making me nearly leap for joy.  I'm not the only one... as we talked about it to try to figure it out... it became more clear what was happening... so engrossed in the study of the Word of God, I've slacked off on my relationship/prayer life a little more than I should have. There is no replacement.  There must be a balance.

Then, today... I was sitting in my apartment trying to read these few chapters for Theology which are boring to me because I am not a deep thinker... and my mind wandered...  to the happenings of yesterday, particularly trying to put a finger on the words to describe what my crazy deal is... and then 3 little words popped into my head that described it:

I miss Jesus. 

I'm learning about Him, but not spending enough time learning with Him, talking to Him, shutting out the craziness of life and really spending time in prayer...  letting Him help me figure out what all I'm learning means for me, today and for the life He's called me to.  

So, I figured it out in a sweet little moment... and immediately knew that this weekend, the unexpected blessing to be able to go, the pointed question inviting me to go, the discussion last night... seem to all be pointing in the same direction... so, don't try to find me Friday night from 5pm until Saturday at noon... I'll be in Waxahachie... 

And if you were the giver... THANK YOU for allowing God to use you...thank you for acting on the little Voice that nudged you to be a blessing.   

______________________
On another quick note... 
If you're reading this between 2:00-3:15pm or 9:30-10:30pm (Eastern time) tomorrow... I will be taking a Greek test and then a Theology test... PRAY!  

And, on Friday at noon your time, I'll be visiting the Church of Scientology... it's for my Theology class.  We are required to visit a religion that exists but doesn't believe in the Christian God and ask them about what they believe, why they believe and all that.  I called and made an appointment today.  The lady was super sweet...as if I was calling any old church... I'll bet she thinks she'll convert me.  Oh, don't worry.  I won't be alone.  Jesus is going to be there, too.  And if I'm lucky, Tom & Katie :o)  

So, I'll tell you all about the retreat and the Scientology visit later this weekend when I find some time to blog about it.  

Love & miss you all... grateful you don't mind getting massive updates via the blog rather than individual emails... I'd never have time for it all.  Love your personal emails, cards and calls, though... my little taste of home...  

For anyone who's counting... Christmas, by the way is 3 months from tomorrow.  








3 comments:

Kate's Mommy said...

scientology, that will be fun and interesting, can't WAIT to hear about it! there is a city on the way to GA called Coosawhatchie...that's a fun one too. will be praying for your test and waiting to hear about that too...you have such a good picture memory but I know you aren't breezing through tests at DTS like you were at LU (meaning, you are really putting a ton of effort into learning it (please don't be offended, I think you'd tell me the same thing)). on another funny note...when you put a comment on here, you have to put in the letter to make sure you aren't a virus before you post your comment...the letters today are "jezuk"...almost Jesus...thought that was interesting! :) Love to you in Dallas!

adamandjeremy said...

so i reckon you just finished your first test. i hope it went well, but i guess i said a post-test prayer for you.
thats pretty sweet about the scientology thing. im looking forwrd to reading your post about it. also glad you get to go to the thing this weekend. im already imaging your post about how glad you were that you went and how God spoke to you and gave you the words you needed to hear.
rock on!

oh, and before i forget we'll be at homecoming this year. what are the chances you could come back?

Jennifer Renee said...

I miss you beautiful! I'm so happy for you and all that He is teaching you! :) Have a wonderful time at the retreat!