Friday, August 22, 2008

Accidents Happen...

Sometimes your GPS unit is to blame, sometimes your stupidity for listening to the GPS unit is to blame. 

Today, it was all me.  Stupid me for listening to the GPS...  

Don't worry.  I'm ok.  Obviously.  I'm writing this crazy post.  But, my car is not.  

Ok, so I was driving down a one way road with 3 lanes.  I was in the center lane.  Please note:  I thought I was in the left hand lane in the split second that my GPS told me to "Turn Left"onto Willow.  

So, I turned.  

Luckily, and by the protection and grace of God.  Mr. Gonzalez in his big red F-150 saw me starting to act like a complete moron and started slowing down, too.  

His fender kissed my fender.  

No one is hurt.  My roommate Jennifer was with me.  She's ok.  I bumped my head on the window, but really, it was barely a bump.  It really could have been a catastrophic collision if just a few variables were different:  his speed, angle, timing of my turn, etc.  

So, the insurance said it was my fault.  What?  No way!  Yes, of course it was my fault.  

I have a $500 deductible.  So thanks ODBC for your generous July contributions to my car being repaired and now fixed again.  No rental coverage, but my roommate is here, I live on campus and already have a Monday morning appointment to get the adjuster to look at it and start the repair process.   I'm not stressing.  It is what it is.  And I can't whine about it, just moving forward.  

Let's just hope my spanking new rack & pinion wasn't damaged... that would just be very bad news.  

So, no... I assure you, I do not have a concussion, whiplash or anything of the sort.  I am fine. My car drives (no need for a tow), it just pulls to the right and the fender is smashed.  

So, is this persecution?  The Enemy trying to discourage me from seminary?  Trying to make me question my move, my calling, this journey?

No.  

It was just me being stupid trying to find my way to the Salvation Army store to shop for a couch for our apartment (which we still went and did in Jennifer's car and found an adorable one!)

And even if it was an "attack" or additional burden to carry on top of other not-for-blog news I got the other day...  Well, let's turn in our Bibles to Romans chapter 8, verse 38:

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, [nor fear, nor traffic accidents, nor possible cancer diagnoses for people we love, nor distance, nor the blazing heat of Texas] nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Contributions to the "Katherine Eachus Focus Resurrection Fund" can be sent... just kidding... forget the money... PRAY that God will show up and He'll do what only He can do in ways that can only be credited to Him.  (And praise Him that He already did... Mr. Gonzalez had every  right to cuss me out and be fuming mad.  He was kind, caring, and even used a piece of wood from his big red F-150 to un-bend my fender enough to make sure I was able to turn my wheel to drive home)

That's life.  It happens.  It stinks to high heaven, and it was totally my fault.  But all is well and soon to be fixed and God provided in advance for the needs that were to come.  

As for Seminary Life, today was another really good day. 
Started with the MMPI personality inventory test.  569 of the strangest questions of my life to make sure I don't have psychoses DTS should know about before they let me start classes.  Here's a sampling, all True/False:

If I were an artist, I'd like to paint flowers.
I love my mother/father
I am afraid of the dark
I am afraid of spiders, snakes, dirt
I prefer loud parties/social scenes
I would like the job of a forest ranger

Also, questions about suicidal tendencies, health symptoms the could indicate underlying health issues, etc... interesting.  Hope I'm not crazy!

Then, I went to the Women's Student Fellowship luncheon for us newbies.  Sat at a table with Katherine (me), Katherine (not me), and Mary Katherine.  For real.   It was nice.  Got to meet some new girls, learn about Women's activities on campus, there will be a fall retreat and in November, DTS alum Priscilla Shirer (Tony Evans' daughter) will be speaking at a women's leadership conference.  

This afternoon I hit Target for notecards, paper, binders, etc and then, decided to go get in a wreck.  After that, Jennifer & I found the Salvation Army and went to a Half Price Bookstore where she may have found a Psychology textbook for $9.98.  It's the 10th edition, she needs the 11th, so hopefully she can get it and use it without a hitch.  

Then, we went to a dinner at "Texadelphia" where DTS new students and faculty had the restaurant all to ourselves.  There were cheesesteaks (but, hello, we're 2,000 miles from the real deal...), and chips & queso...you get the idea of the name... and, it was free.  And it was fun.  

I met someone who's last name was Mauger.  His dad graduated from Boyertown Area Senior High in '67.  And his aunts and some relatives still live in the B-town area.  I think his dad became a missionary and then never settled back in PA.  Hello, small world!  For those of you that don't know, that was my high school and my parents' high school... they graduated in '75, though... so maybe my Uncle Glenn knew them?  Did my Aunt Cindy go to Boyertown? hhhmm... details of the courtship I don't believe I've ever heard...how you guys met... Know any Maugers?  Open your yearbook, just for kicks :o)

Also met a couple from Alaska who we think is going to help us go pick up the couch at the Salvation Army in the morning.  Blessing!  

Then, we sat around, talked some more... and voila, here I am recounting my day to you. 

Faithful is He who calls you... HE WILL DO IT!  

Stay tuned, your first Greek lesson will hit the blog soon... as will "Blog Party Scripture Memory" and you know you don't want to miss that!  






1 comment:

Jennifer Renee said...

aww...precious! :( I'm sorry about the accident, but I'm sooo glad that you and Jen and okay. And even more glad that you have such a good outlook on the whole thing. I'll pray that things go smoothly with the repairs.

(So remember your mom's response when you got Dora? You didn't tell her how/why you wrecked did you!?) :)