Friday, August 8, 2008

Beijing Olympics

So... I'm watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics... remembering back like...goodness, 16 years ago when my brother won 2 goldfish at the Boyertown sidewalk sale and named them Dan and Dave because I guess they were some track star people.  I was 12, I don't know for sure.  

So I'm watching all forms of fireworks, pyrotechnics (good word, eh?), hundreds of dancer people and a ginormous globe thing with people harnessed to it running and dancing around the world.

And all I can think about is persecution.  

Last fall, ODBC highlighted the Persecuted Church during our annual missions week and I was assigned the task of researching examples of persecuted Christians around the world.  Most of the articles were about Chinese Christians...beaten, imprisoned, locked inside their own homes, abducted, violently abused during police questioning...many tortured and even secretly murdered for their faith in the SAME Savior who died for me.  

Do we even have a clue how privileged we are to own 7 Bibles in 4 versions by every publisher available, endorsed by Christian inspirational authors and yet despite our privilege it is a chore and too rare an occurance for us to be found treasuring the wonder we hold in our hands, gathering dust on our bookshelves, packed away in boxes...  when millions of people in a land where Jesus is forbidden would (and do) give any earthly good to own a copy of the inspired word of God?  

I also recall very clearly during my research coming across articles Americans weren't supposed to end up reading that stated the Chinese government had a plan in place to aggressively investigate and punish leaders of the underground Church before the 2008 Olympic Games.  

So, for me, while I am interested to watch the gymnastics, diving, swimming and a few other life long highlights of the summer Olympics... it's all just a little overcast with sorrow for me.  

For more information on the Persecuted Church, visit The Voice of the Martyrs website at:  www.persecution.com 

But be warned...  the truth about what is going on around the world to our Christian brothers and sisters is shocking...  

We think we have it so rough when we can't drag ourselves out of bed on a Sunday morning to attend church.  



 

No comments: