Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day of School

Ok, so there were no cute backpacks, ruffled socks, Rainbow Brite lunch boxes (I was a child of the 80's), no big yellow school bus, or Mom taking pictures on the front steps... but today was probably my favorite first day of school ever. 

I think that's because I'm here with such purpose.  I'm not going to school because it's the fall and I have to.  I'm here because God called me, provided for me and I "get" to. 

My first class today was Spiritual Life.  7:45am comes bright and early after a summer of working 20 hours a week not waking up before 9!  The class was as meaningful as a church service.  It's structured to encourage solid, healthy spiritual disciplines that we will carry for the rest of our lives.  It was phenomenal.  Have an excellent teacher who absolutely loves the Lord with all his heart.  Couldn't have had a better "first class at seminary" if I tried.  It really set the tone for why we're here, what a unique opportunity this is... 

After that, I had the one, the only Dr. Howard Hendricks for Bible Study Methods.  He's a much older gentleman than most of the other teachers.  I would guess late 80's.  He oozes a love for the Word of God that is nothing short of contagious.  Even in his advanced age and frail state, his class of 200+ students were captivated.  What a privilege just to be in one of his classes!  And, it's great content, too.  We're going to learn how to read our Bibles for our own personal growth and for the purpose of being able to teach others to do the same.  Sounds simple, but very few believers really dig deeply into the miracle that is the Word of God.  His way of communicating with us. 

After that was chapel.  You know, at Liberty... even when Dr. Falwell spoke, convocation was, well a little dreaded and a little boring.  Again, different motivations, and hello different sleeping patterns!  But mostly, different priorities.  Dr. Bailey, the President of DTS spoke today and I kept thinking 2 things:  WOW, I'm so privileged to sit under the preaching of these incredible men of God and #2, oh my WORD, I'm going to be learning how to teach like that!  Scary, but sooo exciting. 

Then, after a short break was the dreaded, very scary Greek class.  Are you sitting down? I hope so, you're at your computer... I am the only girl in my class.  Don't get too carried away!  There are only about 20 people in there and this is school, not E-harmony!  My degree is ThM, not "Mrs."!  Being the only girl is a weird feeling.  But the prof (that's how everyone refers to professors around here!) made it a really good experience.  It's going to be a challenging course and it's going to be a lot of work and a lot of studying, but I'm ready to jump in!  

So, I'll have these same classes on Thursday again and then also have a once a week Thursday night class on Intro to Theology (lots of reading, lots of printed notes) and a class on Evangelism on Friday morning only. 

As for an update on my car accident...My car is at the collision repair place.  $3,000 in damage!  But, I only have to foot a $500 bill for my deductible. (Only!) And, my boss talked to his in-laws who are elderly, live in the area and they are LOANING ME THEIR CAR for a while!  That happened very much out of my hands and they don't even know me... is that awesome or what?  Complete strangers lending their car to the girl who crashed hers in a very irresponsible way.  I'll bet they don't know I caused the wreck :o)

I'm just saying... it's amazing to know the God of the universe is intimately concerned with the details of our lives.  Not just mine... yours, too!  

Lots of love from (really not that hot anymore) Texas!  

Drop me a line, post a comment... let me know how you're doing!  

I love mail in the real mailbox :o) 
Katherine Eachus
3909 Swiss Ave, Box 534
Dallas, TX  75204

kept my same cell number:  703-328-2864
email:  katherine.eachus(at)gmail.com






1 comment:

Jennifer Renee said...

I'm soooo happy for you! Things seem to be going so well! :)

Things are rough for me in FL...but I know that after I get used to it all it'll be good.

It's where God wants me...it's just out of my comfort zone a bit.